There are some things that everyone knows about music, like when to enroll your child into a music school or knowing what to look out for when sourcing for a music school for children. If you are musically educated, you know the benefits of music and maybe even know where to buy or rent the perfect piano and instrument!
However, from time to time, we discover and chance upon some very interesting and mind-boggling musical facts. You may know them or you may not, read on to find out and share with your friends about these cool fun facts!
- You Can Train Your Brain To Enjoy Practice!
Research from Cornell University (Woolley, June 2018) shows that giving an immediate bonus for working on a task, rather than waiting until the end to reward them, largely increases the interest and enjoyment in the task. People who got an earlier bonus were more motivated to pursue the activity for its own sake and continued with the activity even after the reward was removed.
- Musical Education Leads to Better Exam Scores.
That’s right! According to a study put out by the American Psychological Association, students who take up music lessons score significantly better in certain subjects than their schoolmates who do not!
- Music lessons for children are a great way to develop and improve their cognitive and psychomotor skills, refining hand-eye-mind coordination, interpersonal development and discipline. Some studies, like University of California’s Music And The Brain, have even explored how music practice is linked to neurological changes that vastly improve certain brain functions!
- Non-Musicians Almost Rarely Hear Music In Dreams.
If we have not convinced you about the benefits of learning music, here is one that might just sway you over! We love a nice restorative sleep, maybe even better when we have sweet dreams, but how about hearing music in your dreams?
- A study from Dr. Patrick McNamara shows that music in dreams is rare, even for musicians! It is reported that only about 40% of musicians hear music in their sleep. On the other hand, for non-musicians, that number is only 18%.
- Ed Sheeran slept on Jamie Foxx's couch for six weeks before he made it big in the music business.
Love Ed Sheeran and his hit songs like “Habits” and “Thinking Out Loud”? In an interview on "The Graham Norton Show”, famous actor Jamie Foxx said that Ed Sheeran had crashed on his couch six weeks prior to making it big.
- Confirmed by Sheeran himself, in an interview with Howard Stern, he said that "...being able to fly to L.A. with nothing and ending up in one of the biggest movie stars' houses” reminded himself that '[he] must have something.' How is that for a story of perseverance?
- "Wannabe" by The Spice Girls is the Catchiest Song of All Time
“Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want…” Did the tune instantly pop into your head? Did you instinctively just complete that song lyric?
- In 2014, a group of researchers from The Museum of Science and Industry in England released an online test called "Hooked on Music." They asked about 12,000 participants to identify songs as fast as possible, with songs from different eras and genres. They found that "Wannabe" by The Spice Girls was the catchiest song! People were able to recognize it in about 2.3 seconds, which was way below the 5-second average of identifying other popular songs.
#OssiaPracticeTime is back and this time around, we have a brand new Kurzweil M90 Digital Piano to give away! Click here to see how you can take part and stand a chance to be our big winner! Call Ossia Music School at +65 3158 3236 for more information or click here to book a free trial today!